|Study location||Italy, Florence|
|Nominal duration||2 years (120 ECTS)|
|Application fee||€20 one-time
Application fee is non-refundable
Undergraduate diploma (or higher)
The entry qualification documents are accepted in the following languages: English / French / Italian / Spanish.
Often you can get a suitable transcript from your school. If this is not the case, you will need official translations along with verified copies of the original.
Upload documents on to your university online profile
Non-EU applicants living abroad are required to have a valid certificat of Italian language proficiency at level B2 awarded as determined by the CLIQ (Italian Quality Language Certification) quality system, which unites in one association the current certification bodies (University for Foreigners of Perugia, University for Foreigners of Siena, Rome Tre University and the Dante Alighieri Society) and University for Foreigners “Dante Alighieri” of Reggio Calabria, as well as in convention with Italian Institutes of Culture abroad or other institutions.
At least 1 reference(s) should be provided.
The global warming and the consequent climatic changes have been mostly attributed to the emissions in the atmosphere of Greenhouse Gases (GHGs) deriving from anthropic activities such as combustion of fossil fuels, agricultural activities, and modifications of use of soils; waste dispersion in the environment; intensive use of non-sustainable industrial processes.
A judicious exploitation of Earth’s resources requires their sustainable management through the development and application of innovative biotechnological processes that guarantee a low environmental impact of human activities.
The progressive integration of agricultural and environmental policies makes necessary to train a new figure of Biotechnologist, capable of assessing the effects of climate change on the environment and on primary agricultural production and at the same time capable of setting new, economical, and industrial models for eco-sustainable agricultural and industrial activities.
The Master Course “Biotechnology for environmental management and sustainable agriculture (BIO-EMSA)” aims at training Biotechnologists capable of understanding the complex processes related to climate change and capable of managing and developing ecologically sustainable agricultural and industrial processes.
For training this new professional figure, a multidisciplinary training path has been designed, which comprises a significant number of laboratory activities.
In particular, the Master Course BIO-EMSA will provide students with the technical and scientific skills needed for:
• interpreting, at molecular and cellular scale, the effects of climate change on biological systems, particularly those of agricultural and forestry interest,
• developing and managing eco-compatible and sustainable farming activities aimed at crop and livestock production,
• designing and developing new biotechnological products and processes by means of eco-compatible bioprocesses.
- Agricultural enterprises interested in developing eco-sustainable crop and livestock productions.
- Biotechnology companies operating in the production of bioenergy and biomolecules by means of low environmental impact bioprocesses.
- Biotechnology companies operating in eco-sustainable waste management and nutrient recycling.
- Companies involved in the treatment and recovery of degraded or polluted environments.
- European Agencies and National Authorities responsible for drawing up regulations for the eco-sustainable management of crop and livestock production and regulations for patenting biotechnological products and processes.
- Universities and research institutes operating in the fields of environmental and agricultural biotechnology.
- Public and private laboratories operating in the environmental control.
Italian, European and International Agencies, and NGOs working in the field of the environmental protection.
- Graduates in the Master Course BIO-EMSA can apply for participating in the state examinations for accessing the Professional Directory of Doctors in Agronomy and Forestry (Albo degli Agronomi e Forestali), and for accessing the Professional Directory of Doctors in Biology (Albo dei Biologi).